- Bruising - lasts 2-3 weeks depending on how well you heal.
- Inflammation - (phlebitis) - red and tender lump along the vein (temporary) - resolves with ice, stockings and Advil.
- Hyperpigmentation - the inflamed vein causes a reaction on the surface of the skin that looks like a brownish bruise. It is temporary and most resolve within a year.
- Small veins more visible - when a vein closes quickly, the blood can be diverted to smaller non-functioning veins which make them more visible.
- Migraine headache/blurry vision - can happen in people predisposed to migraines. It is transient and usually resolves within 1-2 hours.
- Allergic reactions can range from mild to severe and usually happen within 1-2 hours after treatment.
Serious medical emergencies, but extremely rare.
Deep venous thrombosis (less than 1/1000) - the whole leg becomes red and swollen.
Pulmonary embolism - characterized by chest pain and shortness of breath.